Monday, July 03, 2006

Reason, Need and Hope

Why am I blogging? As usual, I find myself doing something before having a well-considered motivation for doing so, so let me take a moment and think about this.

The inspiration for this came from seeing Wil Wheaton speak -- which I suppose earns me some geek points right there. Not only is his writing and blogging entertaining in and of himself, and not only he is admirable as a decent, sincere and passionate person; but I was inspired by something he said about splitting his efforts between acting and writing.

He quoted another actor who said that acting, writing, painting, music -- all creative efforts -- come from the same well; and that counter-intuitively, the well can run dry if you don't keep drawing from it.

I'd briefly considered blogging in the past, but lacked what felt like a solid reason for doing so; and I've searched (if infrequently and half-heartedly) for an outlet for my creativity. Wil's statement made me realize that I could use the blog to jump start my creativity in other areas, and for that I'm grateful.

That's why I've started this... but that's a separate matter from what I intend to do with it.

I think the reason I'm doing this is because I have a cool job at a very cool place; I design computer and video games. I've been doing it for years and I think the process is challenging, exciting, and probably something a lot of people would enjoy reading about.

At a more fundamental level, I think I need to work through aspects of my job and my life in writing, to sort through what I do and why I do it, and to try and find a healthier outlook on my life. I'm really, really lucky to have the life I do, and I'd like to appreciate it, and the world around me, in as healthy and balanced a manner as I can. Hopefully by sharing things and working through them here, I can experience and understand them more fully.

Also, by writing here, I hope to replenish the well of creativity from which I've only occasionally drawn. I've spent my life dabbling with a number of creative pursuits, only to shy away from each of them in turn. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that my life has contracted to intervals of work, food and sleep, and that when you feel like making time to play video games is an accomplishment, your life probably needs some rehabilitation. I've been told that I have potential as a writer, and I like some of what I've written, so this is a good place to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home